Thursday 17 May 2012

Book Review: The Hairdresser of Harare by Tendai Huchu


Tendai Huchu emailed me asking if I would review his book.  He arranged to send me a complimentary copy to review.  You can read more about Tendai here.

Vimbai is the top hairdresser in Mrs Khumalo's salon.  She feels she is indispensable and that the salon would collapse without her.  When Dumisani, a good looking guy, with top hairdressing skills joins the salon Vimbai feels more than a little put out!

As a single mother Vimbai is finding times hard (although she does have a house girl who helps around the house and with her daughter, Chiwoniso).

Dumi is looking for somewhere to live and Vimbai, on the spur of the moment asks if he'd like to rent a room from her.  They begin to get to know each other, have days out and he helps around the house and with Chiwoniso.  He also introduces her to his family and they spend time with them.

We also find out more about Zimbabwe, what life is like living in a failing economy with hyperinflation, white farmers having their land taken, high unemployment, poverty and corruption.  Vimbai finds out a secret about Dumisani which initially shocks her but she gets over this quite quickly.  She seeks out her brother and his Philosophy Club which really helps her out!


A interesting, enjoyable and at times, entertaining read which is very well written - I recommend it.

12 comments:

  1. AnonymousMay 17, 2012

    I'm from Zimbabwe! I need this book!! Do you know where I would be able to buy one??

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh awesome! I'll have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds really interesting, its on my to read list!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really need to read more books!
    http://missstephanieusher.blogspot.co.uk

    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that was my NY resolution - the only one I've kept! x

      Delete
  5. This sounds so interesting! I would love to read it.. not just for the entertainment, but to get an idea of what its like in that part of the world(: Thanks for the review!

    Much love,
    Lauren xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really recommend it, a great read x

      Delete
  6. Thanks for commenting on my blog. I also read thi sbook (my review is here: http://leeswammes.wordpress.com/2012/04/13/book-review-the-hairdresser-of-harare-by-tendai-huchu/). Like you, I also loved reading this, and indeed, it's well written.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) yes I saw your fab review. Thanks for doing the blog hop - I'm quite excited by it :)

      Delete