Friday 27 June 2014

June Books

Here's what I've been reading this month:


Never Look Back by Clare Donoghue - a debut novel which I couldn't put down! Three women are brutally murdered in South London and DI Mike Lockyer is frantically trying to link the killings and solve the crimes. The murderer is getting more and more confident.  Sarah Grainger, an outgoing photographer fears that someone is stalking her and becomes afraid to leave the house. A fast paced book with twists and turns and which keeps you guessing until the end. Looking forward to the next book already.


Eeny Meeny by M J Arlidge - I was on the edge of my seat as I raced through this book. Can't wait for Matthew's second book which is out in September! Pairs of Victims are abducted and imprisoned and face the choice of kill or be killed. DI Helen Grace who is in charge of the investigation is driven and is a fascinating character who never lets anyone get too close.  A brilliant story with interesting and believable connections. You just can't wait to find out what's going to happen next and how the story will end. One of my favourite books this year.


A Sea Change by Veronica Henry - a quick read which I read while in the bath. A light and easy reading story about boy meets girl at a seaside setting.


Birdman by Mo Hayder - the first Jack Caffery thriller. DI Jack Caffery is called to a horrific murder scene where five young women have been murdered and dumped on wastland near the Dome. Post mortems link the women and the race is on to find her killer.  I wasn't blown away by this book and unsure if I'd read any more in the series.



The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriaty - this book features three different women whose lives are intertwined.  Cecilia, married with the family she has always wanted and with the perfect husband who she knows inside out.  She accidentially finds a letter written by her husband and on the envelope is written "to be opened only in the event of my death".

Tess's husband has fallen in love with her cousin and best friend. She is distraught and upset and takes herself and her son to go and stay with her mum back home in Sydney.  Rachel's daughter was murdered as a teenager many years before and she can't move on with her life until she knows who killed her.  Full of twists and turns I loved this book.




The Bodies Left Behind by Jeffery Deaver - A couple are having a weekend away from the city at their quiet and remote lake house in Wisconsin. Something happens and they call the police but the call is cut short. Deputy Brynn McKenzie goes to find out and arrives to find that people have been murdered.  Before she can call for back out she finds herself on the run with the sole survivor of the crime in the deep woods.  With lots of twists and turns I couldn't put this book down.




The Sunrise by Victoria Hislop* - I was sent this book to review by Love Reading. It is due for publication in September. I'm a huge fan of Victoria Hislop so was excited to read her latest novel.  It is set in Famagusta in Cyprus in 1972 which is the holiday resort to be seen at. Long stretches of golden sands, fine hotels, shops and sunshine.

The Greek and Turkish cypriots live and work side by side mainly at the big hotels which line the beach. In 1974 following a Greek Military Coup Turkey invades the island to protect the Turkish Cypriot minority. Famagusta is left as a ghost town when everyone flees apart from two families - one Greek and the other Turkish.  A really fantastic read with brilliant characters. Highly recommend.




The Madness by Alison Rattle - my first kindle read! This is book of love and obsession.  Marnie lives in the coastal town of Clevedon. She was crippled when a child by polio and helps her mother as a 'dipper' helping fragile female bathers into the sea in Victorian England.  She meets Noah, son of the local Lord and they become friends.  She sees their friendship as something more and becomes obsessed with Noah.  We hear what Noah thinks of it all from his diary excerpts. It has a couple of twists, one of which I saw before it happened. I didn't realise at the time but this is a book for young adults! I did enjoy it though.




Somewhere to Hide by Mel Sherratt (Estate Book 1)
- I raced through this great book and now I'm nearly finished the second one.  It follows the lives of those who live on the tough Mitchell Estate.  Cath, following the tragic death of her husband helps young women in trouble by offering them a bed and a sympathetic ear which in turn helps Josie the local Housing Officer.  Cath has a secret which catches up with her with dramatic results.  The book features interesting characters and has many twists and turns.


What have you been reading this month?

*complimentary

10 comments:

  1. AnonymousJune 27, 2014

    I have just bought Eeny Meeny, sounds great. Nice selection again Sandra x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ive read The Husbands Secret and have Never Look Back by Clare Donoghue, Eeny Meeny by M J Arlidge and Somewhere to Hide by Mel Sherratt (Estate Book 1) on my Amazon wishlist.... x

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have been a really busy bookworm this month. I loved Eeny Meeny too. Both The Husbands Secret and Never Look Back are going on the wish list x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that I'm reading more again. I loved them both and I'm sure you will too x

      Delete
  4. Great selection, I love the Jack Caffery series though although Birdman wasn't one of my favourites.. Never Look back sounds really good :) xx

    http://rinicawrites.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'll maybe try the second one x

      Delete
  5. Interesting selection! I have Eeny Meeny on my wishlist and want to read it even more now :) x

    Evelyn @ We Were Raised By Wolves

    ReplyDelete