Friday 18 January 2013

Friday's Makes, Bakes & Learns #13

Every January I try to make two batches of marmalade - which last all year for ourselves and to give to friends and family.  It is a very time consuming thing to make but yummy.

I use Pam Corbin's recipe (River Cottage) and it always turns out perfect.  It does take 2 days to make as you need to soak the peel in the liquid for 24 hours - so I'll update this post when the marmalade is made.

Recipe from Preserves by Pam Corbin -

Makes 5-6 x 450g jars

1kg Seville oranges
75ml lemon juice
2kg demerara sugar



Scrub the oranges, removing any buttons at the top of the fruit then cut in half.  Squeeze out the juice and keep to one side (I use a juicer). Cut the peel up into thin, medium or chunky pieces.  Put the peel in a bowl with the orange juice and cover with 2.5 litres of water.  Leave to soak overnight or up to 24 hours.





I now have to leave this until tomorrow when I'll update this post.

Following on from yesterday..

Put the mixture in a preserving pan, bring to the boil and simmer slowly covered until the peel is tender - approx 2 hours.  The contents of the pan should have reduced by a third.


(To sterilise your jars - wash in hot soapy water and rinse and then put in a low oven).  

Stir in the lemon juice and sugar.  Bring to the boil stirring until the sugar has dissolved.  Boil rapidly until setting point is reached (I use a jam thermometer). This should take 25-30 minutes.  Remove from the heat, cool for 8-10 minutes, stir and then pour into your jars.  Seal immediately and use within 2 years.

A time consuming preserve to make but very yummy.  I like my marmalade with chunky peel but hubby prefers fine - so if I make a second batch I'll get him to chop the peel!




6 comments:

  1. This looks great, I need to try and make this!!!

    http://alittlebitunique.blogspot.co.uk/

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! the worst bit is chopping the peel ;) x

      Delete
  2. l love marmalade! Will keep an eye on this post ;) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks awesome! Can't to see the next steps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've got it cooking right now! x

      Delete