Wednesday 10 July 2013

The Fast Diet


For the past 4 weeks hubby and me have been doing The Fast Diet (eat normal for 5 days and fast for 2 (500 calories for women and 600 for men).  We picked up both the books - the theory and science behind the diet and the recipes.  I do recommend buying both books as I found it interesting to read up about the diet and the recipe book is stuffed full of interesting and tasty meals (some of which I'd gladly eat on non-fast days!)  We have started each fast day with a normal breakfast.

Here's what we've been eating:

Week 1
Day 1 (Monday)
I ate a normal breakfast on day 1 and then started my fast.  I snacked on some blueberries (75g - 37 calories) until dinner time when we ate Tuna Fagioli (286 calories). This was simply delicious - beans, tinned tuna, red onion, tomato, garlic, lemon and parsley with a little bit of olive oil.

For breakfast the next day I ate porridge made with 40g of Porridge Oats and water.  This is 160 calories. 

After breakfast you can start eating normally again - lunch/dinner/snacks etc.


Day 2 (Thursday)
Again I ate a normal breakfast and started the fast straight after.  I snacked on a pot of Hartley's Sugar Free Jelly (10 calories - an absolute lifesaver when you want a low cal sweet treat).  For dinner we ate Lentil Curry with Roti from the The Fast Diet Recipe Book which was very spicy but delicious and really filling.  This came in at 300 calories.

For breakfast I had some porridge again (160 calories).


Week 2
Day 3 (Monday)
We made the mistake of having a breakfast meal for dinner and were a bit hungry later on - it was tasty but just not filling enough - Shakshouka - with chopped tomatoes, spices and an egg each (178 calories). I ate it with a slice of bread (75 calories).  I also had a latte made with skimmed milk (58 calories).

The following morning I had porridge again (160 calories).


Day 4 (Thursday)
I snacked on some blueberries (75g - 37 calories). For dinner we had Harissa Chicken with Giant Cous Cous (300 calories).  I added some home grown lettuce (15 calories).  This was delicious. 


For breakfast I had a banana (103 calories) and an apple (51 calories) - oops 6 calories over!

Week 3
Day 5 (Monday)
We only managed one fast day this week due to a few lunches and nights out that week.  We ate the Lentil Curry with Roti (as we still had some curry paste leftover).  This was 300 calories.  For breakfast I had porridge (160 calories).

Week 4
Day 6 (Monday)
Tonight we ate O'Kelly Fish (salmon, green beans, broccoli, asparagus, olives, cherry tomatoes and lemon wedges) which was 318 calories.  This was simply mouthwatering and one we'd definitely make again.  


For breakfast I had porridge (160 calories).

Day 7 (Thursday)
We had Tuna Fagioli again as we found it quite filling - this  time made with fresh tuna (286 calories) and for breakfast porridge (160 calories).



The only time I've really felt hungry is late afternoon and later on in the evening (normal snacking times for me!) I've definitely upped my water/herbal tea drinking - a glass of water really helps when the tummy rumbles! The morning afterwards I surprisingly feel quite full and sometimes don't feel like porridge (will have to be more adventurous with breakfast!) Hubby has had smoked salmon a couple of times for breakfast which he has really enjoyed.

I've lost 1lb a week which I am quite happy about - it will be a slow but steady process.  I'll update you again next month.

Follow The Fast Diet on Twitter  
See the Website here

12 comments:

  1. I've been intrigued about this! I thought it was a fast all one day but going from mid morning to the next breakfast seems a little easier x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you can chose when you do the fast bit as long as you are eating only 500 calories over a 24 hour period x

      Delete
  2. AnonymousJuly 10, 2013

    What's your weight loss goal Sandra?

    Ali

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping to lose at least 2 stone Ali ;) x

      Delete
  3. I'm curious how different it would be to fast (a fast to me though is no food and/or water for a period of time ;)) from morning until evening rather than from the afternoon until the next morning.

    The food looks delicious considering it's pretty low calorie. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you can pretty much chose exactly when you do it as long as you are only eating the 500 cals. The food is amazing really flavoursome x

      Delete
  4. Ooooo Sandra all of those picks look amazing, especially the salmon, yummy!

    Em

    x

    http://www.emsmixedbag.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the food is simply yummy! I'll definitely have the salmon again! x

      Delete
  5. hey honey
    I just found your blog and I really love it!
    I find your photos very nice and your content
    it really good!! I am your new follower and I
    will be visiting you often from now on!:)
    hope you come my blog and check it!
    keep in touch!
    xoxo Vicky

    www.fashionrailways.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much! I'll check yours out x

      Delete
  6. Lovely food pictures & interesting diet ive been eating better and cut out alot of bad calories i used to eat since Jan 2013 and good results so far too. Look forward to hearing how this one goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm enjoying it so far and happy to be losing some pounds! x

      Delete